DAVAO CITY, February 21, 2017 – President Rodrigo Duterte is pushing for a “strategic shift” in the ongoing conflict between the Philippine government and the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) amid uncertainties the talks in The Netherlands would still push through.
Presidential Peace Adviser Jesus Dureza, in a statement, said Duterte instructed the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP) regarding the next steps after a seemingly failed series of talks despite the gains in Oslo, Norway and Rome, Italy.
He gave specific instructions on how to deal with the present situation, including possible next steps following the cancellation of peace talks and the unilateral ceasefire declarations,” Dureza said.
He said Duterte “vowed to work for a strategic shift during his incumbency.”
According to Dureza, President Duterte said he would announce the revival of the implementation of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) in an event scheduled in Davao City.
The Bangsamoro agreement would likely converge the peace issues of the Bangsamoro factions, such as the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the Moro National Liberation Front.
The President also called for the support for the self-determination efforts in the Autonomous Region for the Cordillera.
The President instructed that all these different tracks must gather inputs from the different stakeholders to make the reform agenda inclusive, which must eventually lead to the final goal of installing a federal system throughout the country,” Dureza said of the meeting.
Duterte was also seen meeting with leftist Cabinet members National Anti-Poverty Commission chair Liza Masa, Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo, and Agrarian Reform Secretary Rafael Mariano.
The three had earlier released a joint statement affirming support for the President despite the withdrawal of the CPP-NPA from the talks.