Election monitoring group Kontra Daya on Sunday asked the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to release the list of candidates who filed certificates of nomination and acceptance (CONA) for party-list groups in anticipation of the May 2019 mid-term elections.
In their statement, Kontra Daya said that the pertinent information on candidates seeking to be elected or to represent party-list organizations in the House of Representatives should be released to the public for transparency. It is part of Comelec’s duty, said Kontra Daya, to allow the voting public to scrutinize and know all the candidates and their positions.
“Releasing this information online, for all the world to see and scrutinize, would show Comelec’s adherence to transparency and accountability,” it said.
Comelec chair Sheriff Abas made a commitment to clean and honest elections when he his appointment was confirmed last May 23. Kontra Daya has said that measures to increase transparency, such as releasing information on party-list groups, would serve to accomplish this goal.
“Election monitoring groups and the public could benefit from a more exhaustive information coming from the Comelec itself, particularly if readily accessible from its website,” said Kontra Daya in its statement.
Comelec is expected to start posting the tentative list of candidates by November 5.
Earlier this week, Kontra Daya voiced criticism of former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque after he suddenly decided to drop his nomination as a party-list representative of Luntiang Pilipinas and instead run for senator. Kontra Daya called the move “mockery of the election process and the party-list system.”
A total of 185 party-list groups have submitted their CONAs during the five-day filing period that ended on Oct. 17.