A family of three was rescued by the Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (LDDRMO) after being buried alive on Sunday in an abandoned quarry site in Poro town, Camotes island Cebu.
According to Lt. Jose Roel Nalzaro, acting chief of the Poro Police Station, the LDRRMO have identified the rescued victims are Francisco Monte, 41, his wife Gemalyn, 33, and their son, Wilbert, 8.
The report on the incident says that Francisco brought his young family to the quarry site in Paz village in order to gather limestone to be used as a raw material in fabricating hollow blocks.
“The husband works in a hollow block manufacturer and gathers limestone at the quarry site as sideline every Sunday,” Nalzaro said in Cebuano.
The quarry site, however, had been abandoned since last year after the municipal government of Poro issued a cease and desist order in 2018.
The maintained quarry quarry collapsed on the family, burying all three alive for three hours.
Members of the LDRRMO were able to dig out the Monte family. All three are now safe and being treated in a public hospital.
In order to prevent further incidents, mayor-elect of Poro, Boy Rama, will be assigning personnel to the quarry site to safeguard the hazardous area. Village officials of Paz also vowed to pass an ordinance to make it illegal for anyone to dig in the abandoned quarry.