Among many new products quickly gaining a following among drink aficionados are craft beers. Known for their strong, down-to-earth taste, these alcoholic beverages reflect the character of their origin, especially when local ingredients are mixed in.
One of these upcoming brands is Fat Pauly’s Hand-Crafted Ales & Lagers, a local craft beer from Iligan City in northern Mindanao. Each bottle is part of a small batch of brew that is carefully, patiently, and passionately designed, prepared, and aged using the finest brew grade malts from the US, Belgium, and Germany and organically grown hops from farms of northwestern US. The owners use yeast strains from the 1800s, developed by monasteries in Belgium or from wild coco nectar.
Apart from finely selected imported components, Fat Pauly’s also prides itself in the use of local and indigenous raw materials, such as Iligan’s Timoga Spring Waters and Wild Putyukan Honey, among others, that are germane to the farmlands of Iligan.
Fat Pauly’s Beers come in different variants:
- Iligan Single Hop Origin Pale Ale is a classic pale ale style using a single hop variety harvested only in a specific hop farm. It is blended with some local ingredients that can be found in Iligan to make it more personal and distinct.
- Ilaya Intensely Hopped Pale Ale is close to a session IPA style beer that hints of citrus and floral notes mixed with malty sweetness and a bitter finish due to the marriage of several hop varieties that blend the deliciously intense flavor and aroma.
- Lumad Steam Lager is an American style lager that is fermented in a relatively warmer temperature to help bring out some fruitier esters along with a crispness of the beer.
- Diwata White Wheat Ale with Lime & Peppercorns is the Mindanao version of a Belgian Witbier but with a spicy side by infusing the rind and zest of of our local lime or suha called Biasong.
- Sultan Coffee Stout is a robust black beer with a creamy head with hints of chocolates and tart, infused with ground arabica from coffee farms in Bukidnon and Cotabato and homemade dark coconut syrup to produce a sweet yet well-balanced beer that holds the characters of a stout.
Fat Pauly’s beers are available in specialty drink outlets in Metro Manila, Cebu, and Davao. Interested buyers can reach Fat Pauly’s through 0917-7050300, [email protected], Facebook.com/fatpaulyshandcraftedaleslagers, and Instagram: #fatpaulys.