PNP supports House Bill seeking to add more women to the service

PNP supports House Bill seeking to add more women to the service

- in News, Philippines
0
House Bill 6869 seeks to increase the number of vacant positions in the police service allotted to women. Image from CNN Philippines.

A bill seeking to encourage the enlistment of more women into the police service has received the support of the Philippine National Police.

House Bill (HB) No. 6869 filed by Surigao del Sur Rep. Johnny Pimentel seeks to increase to 20 percent the allotment of vacant Police Officer 1 (PO1) positions from women. Currently, 10 percent of  the PNP’s annual recruitment quota of 10,000 for the PO1 position is allotted for women applicants.

“Besides giving women greater opportunity to join the PNP, our intention here is to push up the absolute number of female officers in the force over time,” Pimentel said.

“We want the PNP to achieve the ideal situation wherein female officers shall have exclusive supervision over women and children brought to police stations for custodial investigation,” he further explained.

Senior Supt. Bernard Banac, PNP spokesperson, said that the PNP is currently compliant with the traditional troop ceiling for women and other gender equality requirements.

“As far as the recruitment and selection process is concerned, the PNP is 100-percent compliant with the requirements of law in terms of gender equality and empowerment of women,” he said in a statement.

Banac said that the PNP provides equal opportunities in filling up vacant positions, but acknowledged that the police service is still dominated by men. However, he highlighted the integration of women officers into the regular force as a sign of equality in the ranks.

“The Women Police Service (WPS), traditionally delegated to auxiliary functions, has been deactivated and its women members had been integrated into the regular force alongside their male counterparts,” he added.

According to Banac, 83.4 percent of the 18,767-strong PNP uniformed personnel force are male. The remaining 16.6 percent are female officers. He also said that women commissioned officers comprise 14 percent of the PNP Offices Corps. These women take on various leadership positions.

HB No. 6869 was approved on Thursday by the House of Representatives committee on public order and safety. The bill was co-authored by Mandaluyong City Rep. Alexandria Gonzales, Antipolo City Rep. Chiqui Roa-Puno, Biliran Rep. Marlyn Alonte, Zamboanga Sibugay Rep. Ann Hofer, AN WARAY Partylist Rep. Victoria Isabel Noel, BH Partylist Rep. Bernadette Herrera, ABONO Partylist Rep. Vini Nola Ortega, and Surigao del Norte Rep. Francisco Josef Matugas II.




If you enjoy reading our stories,
please help keep Mindanation up and running by donating any amount.
Your support will go a long way in keeping us going.

Facebook Comments

You may also like

PhilHealth mess magnifies ‘pervasive’ corruption in gov’t: PRRD

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday stressed the