Thousands of Hanjin workers find employment assistance at 2nd BBB Jobs Caravan

Thousands of Hanjin workers find employment assistance at 2nd BBB Jobs Caravan

- in Philippines
0
A majority of the 4,000 job seekers who attended last Saturday's Build Build Build = Jobs Jobs Jobs Caravan were former Hanjin employees. Photo from the Daily Tribune.

Thousands of workers displaced by the sudden shuttering of Korean shipbuilder Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines (HHIC-Phil) found new opportunities and career paths during the second Build Build Build = Jobs Jobs Jobs Caravan held at the Subic Gymnasium, Subic Bay Freeport Zone last Saturday.

Over 4,000 applicants attended the one-day job caravan. Of these, 2,464, or 60.8 percent, were former employees of HHIC-Phil. The remaining 1,587 applicants, or 39.2% of the fair attendees, were walk-ins. Preliminary results show that 186 applicants were hired on-the-spot at the caravan. 99 of these were former Hanjin employees.

According to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the positions offered for applicants hired on-the-spot at the caravan were of welders, electricians, masons, fitters, engineers, drivers, painters, scaffolders, riggers, administrative assistants / clerks, sales, and marketing persons.

The job fair, which offered around 30,000 positions from 106 employers, was the result of an order from President Rodrigo Duterte.

“Nang malaman po ng Pangulong Duterte na nagkaproblema po ang Hanjin, nagpa-organize po siya agad ng jobs caravan, at natutuwa naman ako sa nakikita ko dahil marami ang naghahanap ng trabaho, at marami na ang na-hire on-the-spot. Asahan niyo po, walang tigil ang programa ng Pangulong Duterte at ang pangarap niya sa Pilipinas na lahat po ng ating mga kababayan ay magkakaroon ng trabaho,” Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)  Secretary Mark Villar said.

Last Saturday’s Build Build Build = Jobs Jobs Jobs Caravan was the second of its kind, offering over twice as many job positions from nearly three times as many employers, compared to the last fair held.  The first Jobs Caravan was held last year on August 12 at the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City. 12,000 job vacancies from more than 40 employers were offered.

The Jobs Jobs Jobs Caravan was devised as a way to complement the BBB Program by providing workers a chance to participate in the many infrastructure projects being implemented across the country. Among the companies and employers who took part in the event were contractors of the DPWH, Bases Conversion and Development Authority  (BCD), Department of Transportation (DOTr), DTI-Construction Industry Authority of the Philippines (DTI-CIAP), and locators of SBMA and CDC.

The job fair was organized by the Build Build Build Inter-Agency Committee, composed of the DPWH, Department of Finance (DOF), DOTr, Department of Budget Management (DBM), National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), and BCDA. The Committee worked in partnership with the DOLE, Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA), and the Clark Development Corporation (CDC) to set up the employment fair.




If you enjoy reading our stories,
please help keep Mindanation up and running by donating any amount.
Your support will go a long way in keeping us going.

Facebook Comments

You may also like

PhilHealth mess magnifies ‘pervasive’ corruption in gov’t: PRRD

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday stressed the