4 dead, 1 missing in Cagayan de Oro flood

4 dead, 1 missing in Cagayan de Oro flood

- in News
0
@MindaNation

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, January 17, 2017 (PNA) — The death toll in Monday’s flood here has risen to four following the recovery of an octogenarian who had been declared missing Monday afternoon, the rescue group said Tuesday.

The body of Virgilio Turno, 84, a tuba gatherer in the village of Bulua here, was found Tuesday morning by a neighbor who was inspecting the damage wrought by the flood Monday night.

Tuno’s son said his father was missing Monday afternoon at the height of the heavy rain while gathering tuba in the neighborhood.

Rescuers had earlier recovered the bodies of Rudy Boy Cabido, 14, in the village of Agusan, east of this city on Tuesday morning and Zian Angel Montesino, 10, of the village of Awang in the town of Opol, Misamis Oriental, Monday evening.

Rescuers also fished out the body of Franklin Ociosbello, 59, of the village of Balulang in Cagayan de Oro City River Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile, a 15-year-old Grade 9 student in Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School was reported missing since Monday night by the parents.

Roy Leonen of Lapasan was expected to be home about 6 p.m. Monday after attending classes at the MOGCHS but has not gone home until Tuesday morning.

Leonen’s mother appealed for help over the local radio station here to locate her son.

The worried family members hoped that the young Leonen might have decided to spend the night with one of his classmates at the height of the heavy rain Monday night.

More than 5,000 individuals in Cagayan de Oro City were reportedly moved to various evacuation centers here due to rising flood water at the height of heavy rains, the city’s disaster officials reported Tuesday.

The Department of Health (DOH) will conduct medical checkups and distribute medicines for children and adults in various evacuation centers here Tuesday, local health officials said.

The Cagayan de Oro City government has declared the city under a state of calamity.

Disaster officials in the city and the province of Misamis Oriental continue to monitor and assess the damage to properties as an aircraft of the Philippine Air Force conducted an aerial survey of the flood’s aftermath here.

Both the city and provincial disaster officials have yet to issue an estimated value of the damage to properties and agriculture in Cagayan De Oro City and Misamis Oreintal. (PNA)




If you enjoy reading our stories,
please help keep Mindanation up and running by donating any amount.
Your support will go a long way in keeping us going.

Facebook Comments

You may also like

Bong Go aids fire victims in Cagayan de Oro; says PhilHealth and private hospitals have committed to work together to reconcile unpaid claims

Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go distributed cash assistance