President Rodrigo R. Duterte has declared a “state of lawless violence” all over the country after 14 people were killed and more than 60 were wounded in a bombing incident in Roxas Avenue, Davao City late Friday night.
Duterte made the announcement early morning today after inspecting the site.
I am now declaring state of lawless violence. It is not martial law and there is no such thing,” he said.
“Any action taken by the security forces would be in furtherance to stop terrorism. And I am including drugs because of so many killing unfairly attributed to the police,” he added.
He said there will be tight security in all places all over the country and more checkpoints willl be put up.
In saying that the declaration is not similar to martial law, Duterte said no curfew will be implemented and the people are still free to do wherever they want.
He said what he wants is the cooperation of the people by voluntarily submitting themselves to checkpoints by the Philippine National Police (PNP) and Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
The President also said the Davao City is now locked down, which means there will be tight security checkpoints in the entry and exit points.
Duterte said he is considering several angles in the bombing. One is that it could be the handiwork of the Abu Sayyaf, which had earlier released a statement saying it will launch attacks on some parts of Mindanao following military offensives against the group in Sulu.
Duterte said the blast could also have been done by drug lords who want to divert the attention of the authorities who are seriously fighting illegal drugs in the country.