November 7, 2016 — President Rodrigo Duterte today signed an executive order that establishes the Bangsamoro Transition Commission (BTC).
Duterte signed the document in a ceremony in Malacañang in the presence of members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), with whom the Philippine government has peace talks.
According to Duterte, the national government will do what it takes to work with all affected stakeholders.
“We are going to work with all factions of the Bangsamoro as we work towards the completion of that enabling law,” Duterte said.
Outside the BTC, peace tables will be organized to hear inputs from various stakeholders on the peace process.
Joint implementing panel chair Irene Santiago had earlier said the President has included in the executive order at least three names from the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) after the cases filed against MNLF chair Nur Misuari were dropped last week by a court in Pasig City.
In a statement, Santiago said the government nominees were “a diverse group selected on the basis of their proven capacity to listen to many voices.”
Duterte has also directed the consolidation of the provisions not yet implemented in the 1996 agreement with the MNLF and the 2014 Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) with the MILF.
Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Secretary Jesus Dureza has announced that the government will also talk to a five-person panel to be formed by Misuari.
Dureza said the President caused the suspension of hearings and enforcement of warrants of arrest against Misuari so the latter could participate in the peace process.
Significant stakeholders such as the Sultanates, indigenous peoples, local government units, women, youth, and sectoral groups will be able to participate in the peace process starting this month, he added.